ChilOut and other organisations have grave concerns about new laws which will be put before the Senate any day now.
Labor and the Greens are not supporting the bill but it requires only 3 cross-benchers to pass through the Senate.
Please contact the cross-benchers and voice your concerns today. Click here for Senators' contact details and more about the bill.
Read our letter to the senators for ChilOut's response to the bill.
This video shows Bashir one of our current Youth Ambassadors at our #Freethechildren event, which has toured around Australia. Thank you to all the individuals and organsations who joined us at this event including the Wheeler Foundation, Grandmothers Against the Detention of Refugee Children, Labor for Refugees, the International Detention Coalition among many, many more. If this inspires you come along to our November event and help us stop the detention of children.
YOUTH AMBASSADORS LAUNCH
Do you know any extraordinary young people passionate about human rights? On 27 November 2014 we will launch our 2015 Youth Ambassador program in Parramatta. Join us and have your say about how we can defend rights of children.
Gallery of pics and heaps of other info on endchilddetentionoz.com
GET INVOVLED - ANYWHERE, ANYTIME
We've deisgned a kit so you can host this action DIY style. Check list, template press release, FAQ, pdf's of the posters, flyers and the action card are all available for you here. You can do this action on any budget on any scale and at any time / location that suits.
- Opposed to the indefinite, mandatory detention of children.
- Opposed to offshore detention and 'resettlement' in PNG or Nauru.
- Opposed to the use of remote locations of detention for families and children for any length of time.
- In favour of an independent guardian for unaccompanied children seeking asylum in Australia. The Minister with the power to detain children cannot also be the person appointed to act in their best interest.
- Opposed to Temporary Protection Visas
- Going to continue to operate until there is federal legislation to ensure no child is detained in an Australian immigration detention centre (or any such renamed facility) for more than 14 days.
A not-for-profit community group who seek to increase public awareness by providing accurate information showing what is happening to children inside Australia's immigration detention facilities. Our primary concern is the protection of children, that they are afforded their basic rights, freedom, healthcare, education and play. And that Australia does not have a hand in abusing and damaging children seeking our protection.
ChilOut is supported by John Connolly & Partners.