Actions to take
Stop Temporary Protection Visas
Urgent action from 21 November. Call select Labor MPs, here's the details.
NB: still current as of Friday, 29 November
A few questions for your new or re-elected MP, Senator or Immigration Minister, Scott Morrison...
- Do you support locking up children and pregnant women?
- Do you think PNG or Nauru can really support refugees for ever?
- Do you think spending billions of dollars on a few thousand people is wise for the country as a whole?
- How do you plan to protect the rights of children who arrive with no parent or adult family members? How can it be in the best interests of any child to be sent away from Australia and into remote, indefinite detention with no certainty around resettlement even if the child is a refugee?
If you get told 'it's about saving lives at sea'
- Should one child be punished in the hope of helping another?
- What about the suicides and mental harm caused by indefinite, remote detention?
- Why don't we increase our intake from Indonesia and Malaysia, where the boats are leaving from?
- If we deny refugees family reunion we are actually going to attract whole families on boats not just fathers / husbands.
Share these images
Schools taking action: Detention for detention
This pack has all you need to run an informative, interactive action at your school, community group etc.. Be sure to share the pics #d4d or share them with us; email@example.com
Here's just one school who stood in solidarity with their peers who are locked up.
Sign a petition to stop the closure of Inverbrackie
The Liberal Govt wants to close down the most humane of the detention facilities amid an inhumane system. There are more child-centric services here than in any other detention setting in Australia. There are more simple dignities for families, such as being able to cook for themselves. There is access to necessary health and community services not possible in remote locaitons. Asylum seeker children are a welcome part of the local primary school, community visits are common place. The aternative is a move to the expanded facility at Blaydin Pt (outside Darwin) - completely unsuited to housing children (or anyone). The reason is purely based on a campaign of misguided fear by recently re-elected local MP, Jamie Briggs. Add your name. NB: this is not in support of indefinite, mandatory detention but for the best in a worst case scenario.
Sign the global petition Not in my name
Share these facts and info anywhere you can.